Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Smiling at 2007, welcoming 2008

Soon I'll post a bit of a round up of 2007 blog posts akin to the one I did last year. Overall I suppose I don't make much of new years, but I have been surprised at each passing one, including 2007, that they just keep getting better. I really thought I would peak some time in my early 20s, but alas, samsara's grip has continued to weaken year after year with no end in sight.

But enough about that for now. I have a very busy year ahead of me. Through it all, one thing has remained constant for me these last seven years:
A gift of Dhamma conquers all gifts;
the taste of Dhamma, all tastes;
a delight in Dhamma, all delights;
the ending of craving, all suffering
& stress.
- Dhammapada v.354
It is somehow beyond what I can put into words, but even as life gives me more and more to be happy about, I find still a deeper happiness in those moments of calm when I realize that all of this is impermanent, that clinging to it is suffering, that there is no Self here to make happy by it all. It's as if above worldly happiness, which I have had so much of lately - and so much to be thankful for - there is simply something more.

So I will let that be my first lesson for 2008.

No comments: